Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blog#1

The book that I have chosen to read is Slam by Walter Dean Myers. At the Beginning of the book so far the main character that has been introduce is Greg Slam Harris but people just call him slam that's what they call him on the streets and also his family. Slam is a great basket-ball player he stands 6'2 and goes to a school named Latimer. Slam lives with his mother his father and his Little brother.



Slam was transferred to Latimer from Carver to play basket-ball but he is unable to play right now due to his grades in school and his coach is not letting him see the court . When his father isn't working he seems to always have a bottle to his mouth but when he is working he drinks occasionally
Would you call him a alcoholic? Slam try's to watch out for his brother as much as possible but his brother has a big mouth on him and slam feels it's going to him in some trouble but his brother seems to never learn. His grandmother is also in the hospital and on her death bed. Slam has a lover named Mtisha he also has a best friend named ice there very tight they have been best friends since there were kids.

Question:
If you were in Slam's shoes and you were on a sports team with your school and you were unable to play due to your grades how would you react? Do you agree with his coach or disagree.

9 comments:

  1. If I was in Slam's shoes and I was on a sports team at my school but was unable to play due to my grades, I would react by working hard and trying to accomplish the grade I needed to be on the team. I agree with his coach because if he can't keep up with school, how can he prove he can keep up with the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was unable to play due to my grades I think that if I really wanted to play I would smarten up and try my best to keep my grades on track so I could do something I really enjoyed. I do agree with his coach because doing well in school is more important then sports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If i was not aloud to play on a sports team due to the lack of studying and keeping my grades up in school that would be my own fault, everyone knows that in order to play in extra curricular activites your grades are your ticket in. If you cannot maintain those good grades then your really kicking your self out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were in Slam's shoes, I would agree with the coach. Education is one of the most important things in your life and you want to make the best out of it. If your going to let sports get in the way of it, its not worth it. So if this happened to me, I would work as hard as I can to get my grades up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i was on a sports team at school and i was unable to continue on the team due to my grades i would get really upset but i would find away to improve my marks so that i can continue playing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would first be very angry at my coach.I would then try to reason with him and see if i can change his mind. After I got over the anger I would know that if I want to play basketball then I need to catch up in school. I would work hard and get my school work done as fast as I can to play ball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be mad at my coach but you have to realize they are teachers as well. To almost every teacher, to play on a sports team is a 'privilege'. So really he is just doing his job. You would have to show him that you really want to play by doing what it takes even if you have to do some homework.Its your choice if you want to play or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with all the posts! Even though he may be the star player, he has to realize that basketball is only going to get him so far. Without an education, he won't have much of a future. I think if you work hard to try and improve, and not get into any trouble, then it would be a bonus/priveledge to play on a team and represent your school.

    ReplyDelete